After ten months in development, I am very proud to announce that SabreCSG 1.0 is now out on the Unity Asset Store!
Last December I started work on CSG tools for Unity, with the aim of making level design tools inside Unity that would allow you to create complex levels rapidly and intuitively. My belief was that if you create a set of walls and then decide you want to add some windows and doorways, it should be a simple matter to subtract those spaces from the walls.
Core Features of SabreCSG:
- Boolean CSG technology (BSP-like) that allows you to add and subtract brushes together, allowing you easily to create complicated geometry very rapidly!
- Advanced resize tools allow you to resize brushes intuitively, rotate and translate them
- Vertex tools let you go in and adjust individual vertices, to easily make ramps or flowing archways for example
- A set of surface tools allow you to change materials on faces and edit UVs
- Clip planes allow you to bevel brushes, cut chunks off them or even split a brush into two!
- Supports procedural programatic offline building of levels through editor scripting
- Import 3D meshes from art tools for use as convex brushes
- Export built geometry to .OBJ for use in external 3D tools
The very talented level designer Andrew Yoder has been building some levels with a beta of SabreCSG to show what’s possible to build in the tool:
This release is just the start of SabreCSG’s lifecycle, we’ve got an extensive list of planned features and over time with feedback from users the feature set should grow quite significantly. So please check out SabreCSG on the Asset Store!